Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Sassafras

Lucy's best childhood friend was Pauline. Lucy called her Sassafras and she lived right next door. Lucy mentioned her often on her show just like she mentioned Jamestown, as her home town. (Celeron is a small town on the outskirts of Jamestown)
Pauline
Lloyd was responsible for Pauline's house when she could no longer take care of it. He asked me to go along and help out a couple times and, of course, I jumped at the chance. We had to look everything over carefully because we found cards to "Sassafras" for all occasions mixed in with other papers. We found books about Lucy that she had signed and given to Pauline. I found a silver tray with "Lucy and Gary" (Lucy's second husband) engraved on it! We really had a good time even though it was a lot of work.
Lucy and Desi came to town in Feb. of 1956 and wanted to visit her old home and neighborhood. This picture is Pauline's mother at her front door.
These are two other neighbors. Don't you love their aprons? I'm sure they were surprised to open the door and see Lucy and Desi standing there!

More on the visit tomorrow.

10 comments:

TJ said...

wonderful!!
these posts are so much fun!!
:-D

Beemoosie said...

I'm like you Jean, not in awe of too much, but when you "humanize" someone like that, they are suddenly interesting! This is a great "series" and out of anyone Lucy is one I enjoy seeing about. That sentence came out horrible, guess it was a long week!

Carole Burant said...

Ooooh I'm so loving this!! I would have loved to have been able to go through all that stuff...what fun work! lol One of my blogging friends, Connie is a big Lucy fan, I will email her and tell her to come check out your posts:-) Those pictures are just awesome!!! xox

Tracey said...

Oh, that is just too cool! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story...

Karen said...

This is really fun, what a peek into a celebrity's life and hometown. I can just imagine the surprise of each neighbor when they realized who their visitors were!

Darla said...

I too am enjoying these posts..I did not comment on the last one, just reread it...I for one have always loved Lucy!! I have introduced the I Love Lucy shows to my children and they adore them, along with Green Acres and Andy Griffith...such refreshing shows for them with today's shows.

shannon i olson said...

aagh super cool! love the photos, and the house, the story and that Lucy and Desi came there. how much fun!

Anonymous said...

I was born in February 1956 :-) I remember seeing aprons like that in pictures of my grandma and great grandma.

Becca's Dirt said...

I love seeing these old photos. I have always been a Lucy fan. In my kitchen hangs the sign "Vitavetavegamen" from this episode.

Carla said...

Wow, Pauline sure looks like her mother!! Also, is it just me, or does Lloyd look like Desi?