Friday, December 21, 2007

Show and Tell

This picture is of me and my brother when we were probably 17 (me) and 19. I'm sure you all recognize the man in the middle. My stepfather won this Santa in a raffle around 1966. As you can see he is life size. His beard is spun fiberglass and his clothes are red velvet like material.Here he is 40 years later! As you can see he has aged some. He has been through a lot in 40 years. He has lived in several places, been attacked by mice and made it through a basement fire. Since the fire he actually looks like he could have been going down chimneys all night! At one point he was wrapped in sheets and suspended from the basement ceiling. After realizing that the meter men were making a run for it after seeing a large form in boots wrapped like a mummy and hanging on bungee cords from the ceiling, I decided he needed a better place to stay! That's when he was sent to the shed and attacked by mice. Poor Santa!
Santa is on the back deck of my house. The deck is on the second floor and the door to my beauty shop is under the deck. Santa greets all my customers as they come down the walk. There is a spot light on him and if you look fast you can get a glimpse of him from the street.
I really don't worry about him getting snowed on anymore and even though he's getting old, I just can't seem to part with him. I guess that will be up to my kids some day because I just don't have the heart. We've been through a lot together, Santa and I.

For more Show and Tell posts go to Kelli's House.

14 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

But, oh.......would I love to own that!! You have a treasure there, and a family keepsake too.

My Show N Tell is shared too, won't you join me?

Happy Holidays!

ellen b. said...

That's great! I love the basement story..What fun it would be to send a repair man down there...
Merry Christmas.

Diane Shiffer said...

I have a neighbor who loves older things like this and is a super duper major league holiday decorator... she'd LOVE this Santa!

Anonymous said...

How fun -- I love that he looks like he's been going down chimneys! And how funny about meter men running when they saw him!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Anonymous said...

That's great! I love cool things that also have a good story to them (or some age).

Muum said...

I've got my first ever show and tell up, am combining it with a "hoopla' meme. Sometimes I am amazed at how 'old' stuff is (and that stuff includes me!)

Diana LaMarre said...

What a fun Christmas treasure!

Have you ever checked to find out if he has any monetary value? Some of those old Christmas ornaments are worth a mint.

Kathy b said...

That was a terrific story. I loved seeing his before and now. His beard seems to have grown. We are all showing our age.

Mary said...

Your vintage Santa is beautiful even after all that he's been through. The memories that he holds are priceless. I don't blame you for not wanting to get rid of him.

Merry Christmas and thanks so much for sharing this delightful Santa.

Blessings,
Mary

Rose of Sharon said...

He's wonderful! I am so sorry that he has had such a rough time of things, but he probably loves to come out once a year and greet everyone!

Merry Christmas! Sharon

Mockingbird Hill said...

Oh My Gosh, Jean...what a treasure you have! Not only because he is cool as anything, but the memories attached...good and bad...make him an heirloom for you to pass on to your children.

Wishes for a Happy Christmas to you and yours!

Cassie

Martha said...

I was thinking while I was reading aobut your Santa - "I wonder what he smells like" lol - But then when he ended up on the porch outside - I figured he has all season to air out. Thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas,
~Jane

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

It sounds like your Santa has lived a mighty adventurous life - and kind of dangerous to his well being! But he still looks the part!

Merry Christmas to you.

Susan said...

How cute and what a great idea!
Susan