Monday, February 16, 2009

It's Bloomin' Tuesday!

Welcome!
Today I'm showing a newer plant to my shade garden. It is Asrtantia Mayor 'Lars' (edit; I forgot to add as Carla mentioned, the common name is masterwort or pincushion flower) and comes in about 10 varieties with shades of white to dark red. It is hardy in zones 4-7 but some other varieties will grow up to zone 9. I'm always looking for flowering shade garden plants.
One of my books said it does better with half sun but mine gets very little sun and seems to be doing okay for only the second year.
The flower is several inches above the foliage so it is quite a showy bloom. Do you have any of the varieties?
If you would like to join our tour just add your name and permalink to Mr Linky and don't forget to add a link to this post to your blog. Sit back and enjoy!



10 comments:

Cedar ... said...

I've never seen that flower before, it's beautiful! So delcate and I love the fact that the bloom rises above the foliage. So pretty!

Carla said...

Looks similar to a pincushion flower doesn't it? How delicate!

Aiyana said...

I've never heard of this plant before. It's quite attractive. We are in Zone 9b, so it won't grow here. Too bad. I like it!
Aiyana

playsdolls said...

I love the pincushion flower ,I have a gardening book with it in there,It makes a wonderful addition to the garden.

Unknown said...

What a great plant, have heard of it but never seen one. It does seem a little harder to find plants that bloom in the shade.

Suzanne said...

We have a blueish purple variety in Colorado, but we call it scabiosa or "pincushion flower." This is one of my favorites! Just love it. Beautiful green leaves too!

Laurie and Chris said...

I had forgotten you bought this plant. Great pictures!

Sweetie said...

Your pincushion flower is lovely. I am so anxious for spring so that I can begin planting flowers. You have been providing wonderful ideas.
Sweetie

Rosie's Whimsy said...

So pretty. It will feel so good to be back out in the garden.

I have one of these in a deeper pink that is getting a bit too much sun. It's just one of several that I will be moving around this year.

Have a wonderful week!

Anne Fannie said...

Hi Jean, I was out of town and just got back yesterday so I missed Bloomin' Tuesday this week!
I love that plant you showed. I don't think I have ever seen one before, I am in zone 9 I don't think that plant would do go here maybe that's why I have never seen it. I love the flowers on it!
Love, Ann